“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 (KJV)
So…has anyone found where “In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God”.” are all written? I’ll give you a hint. The same person wrote it twice, and if you don’t know who the “Beloved Disciple” was then you really need to spend more time reading the Bible, and less time doing other things. The other one is the very first verse of the Bible, and if you don’t know where that is…then you really have to turn off the television, and get out your Bible and start reading.
So, today’s message is titles alive and powerful, and has one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Without any further delay…let’s get right into “Alive and Powerful”.
Hebrews 4:12 gets right to the point, and that’s why it’s one of my favorite verses in the Bible when it comes to the Word of God. It’s here in this verse that we find out that the Bible isn’t just another story book or collection of writings or that it’s not relevant to every generation since it was first penned. This is where we find out that this book…the Bible…is the most powerful book ever written.
It’s more entertaining than the latest romance novel…in fact…if you like romance novels the Bible is full of love stories. Read the book of Ester. Not only is it about a powerful woman who would one day save the entire nation of Israel, but it’s a love story between a queen and her king. It’s more compelling than Steven Kings new book. It’s got poetry, it’s got wise sayings, and it’s full of personal stories and biographies. It’s certainly a collection of writings, but these aren’t just any writings…this is the alive and powerful Word of the only God that is still also alive and powerful.
Exactly how powerful is this book? Well, I’m glad you asked. Why don’t we let this Book tell you what makes it so powerful.
- Romans 1:16: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation”. The first thing this book can do that no other book can do is lead you into right standing with it’s Author. No other author in the world allows you to have as personal a relationship as the One who inspired the writings of this one. It’s the only book of it’s kind. There is no self-help book, no novel, no non-fiction or fiction book that can do what this book can.
- 2 Corinthians 10:4-5: “4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ”. Now I know the question already forming in your mind. What does the Word of God have to do with this verse. Well…when you add to it the next one you’ll understand.
- Ephesians 6:17 (NKJV): “and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God”. Out of all the parts of the Armor of God the Word of God is our main offensive weapon. I know you’re what you’re going to say. “What about prayer?”. To which I’m simply going to answer that question this way. The next time you’re in a spiritual battle…try praying your own words first, and then try praying the Word of God…and see which one yields the more powerful results.
- Hebrews 4:12 : ““For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
This brings us back to our main verse for today. It’s alive, it’s powerful, it’s sharper than any two-edged sword. It slices between soul and spirit, it divides between joint and marrow, and it is able to discern the thoughts and intent of the heart.”
There is NO other book in the world that can not only make this claim, but back it up. There is no other book that can do so much, and be relevant for centuries. This Bible that so many scoff and ridicule is also the very book that is going to one day judge the world. This is the very book that God is going to hold every person who came into being and existence accountable too.
This is the only book in the world that has been a top seller since it’s original writings, and has many translations in many languages…but it all tells the same story. The story of Jesus as we learned yesterday. This is the best book ever written. The greatest story ever told. This is the ONLY book that has a story that is still unfolding today before our eyes. This is the only book that has been written that is still writing it’s story.
This book…the Bible…is the greatest book ever written. Why don’t you take some time to acquaint yourself with yours again. Read the Gospels and receive salvation. Read the Proverbs and receive wisdom for life. Read the Psalms to find some of the greatest songs, poems, hymns, and more ever written. Read the Book of Revelation to find out how the world ends, or Genesis to find out how the world began. Read the Christmas story so that you understand why it’s not about Christmas trees, Christmas carols, or any thing else the world has made it about today.
Read about a man who was once a murderer of Christians who became the greatest of writers penning two-thirds of the New Testament. Read about the understanding that was given to Peter, the knowledge that was given to John, and what Jesus’ own brother James learned from after the Savior. Read about the prophets of old, and how what they wrote yesterday is coming true today.
There is so much that could be listed about how great this book…The Bible…really is, but don’t take my word for it…read it for yourself. Maybe you’ll discover something that wasn’t written in this message. Maybe you’ll see something else in it that explains why this book is so powerful. Maybe it will inspire you to write messages like this, or get behind a pulpit and preach it.
The under riding theme of all these messages is still the same…get out your Bibles, dust them off, and start reading. If you want more power in your life you won’t find a more powerful book than the Word of God.
Interactive Study Questions:
Well, here we are. One the third day we get to one of my favorite verses in the Bible because it is about…well…the Bible. Today…we have two and a quarter questions. I haven’t seen any answers. I’d love to see what’s happening with those of you who are reading these messages…if you’re reading them. I don’t care if I’m writing to myself…this is good stuff. So, here’s today’s questions or points to ponder or meditations…as it relates to Hebrews 4:12.
- What is the purpose for the Bible in this verse?
- Have you ever felt that the Bible has done this in your life?
Heavenly Father, I thank You that Your Word is alive and powerful. I thank You that it has the ability to discern between the thoughts and intents of the heart. I thank You that it has the ability to slice through joint and marrow, and that it has the ability to divide soul from spirit. I thank You that Your Word always accomplishes that which it is sent out to do, and I thank You that You have entrusted me with to preach Your Word in this way. I ask that You would continue to speak through these messages, and most of all, Lord God, that You and Your Word would always be magnified above my own desires and reputation. I pray that You would be glorified through these messages. I love You Lord, and ask these things in the name of Jesus…Amen & Amen
Well, I don’t know about you, but I really liked today’s message. It’s so good that I may have to read it, and I might even print it out and bring a copy of it to my pastor. I truly am having a blast writing during this series, and am hopeful that it’s going to make a difference in the lives of those who are following along. It’s been such a pleasure doing this for the Lord, and I sincerely hope I am having a positive impact upon the lives of those of you who are following along.
Have a blessed day!
Blessings & Grace;